Wednesday 5 December 2012

How to handle kids who are fussy about clothes?


I have come up with some kids who can be really agonizing with their normal behavior. You might feel like pulling your hair while dealing with them. Such kids can be choosy about anything and everything. I have found most kids fussy about their clothes and Food. My son is so much selective about his clothes that sometimes we literally get pissed off by his behavior.
He has a fixed set of clothes in mind that he wants to wear every day. His normal wear is a sleeveless shirt with some ‘angry birds’ cartoons on it. If he is in good mood then he is okay with wearing sleeveless shirts with a Ben 10, Spiderman or a Batman cartoon on it. But the unique thing that remains in his attire is the Sleeveless shirt. You could die trying to convince him to wear a shirt with sleeves. I mean he can wear a sleeveless shirt at home and there are no issues with that. But he wants to wear the same type of shirts while going out or even while going to school.
He used to crib and cry a lot whenever I attempted to put anything else other than sleeveless shirts. My wife and I had a torrid time making him understand that he can’t wear such clothes everywhere.  We didn’t have any luck and probably our techniques were not really convincing for him. Spending 1 hour trying to persuade him was a normal practice every day and at the end of it he used to wear the same shirt.
We had to find an innovative way of dealing with this problem. One day I told to myself that I had enough and I need to try something else. I myself put on a new shirt and asked him how it looked. He said it looked great. Then I told him I had got another shirt for him and that was the baby of my shirt. I showed it and asked him how it looked. I told him both were perfect match for each other. I told him that they were inseparable and if he wants me to wear the new shirt he must wear his new one. He quickly agreed to do it.
While dealing with kids you really need to take it in their stride and make them understand in a way that gels well with the kids. Kids tend to imitate their parents and force never works on most kids. You would really need to talk softly with them in a style that they can best relate to.



No comments:

Post a Comment