Saturday 27 October 2012

KG school Admissions

I have just started the expedition of getting my son’s admission. I remember 20-25 years ago it used to be a pretty straightforward process. There was only one board unlike the 3-4 options that you have right now. Every school had the same syllabus and the only factors that primarily influenced school selection were ‘Medium’ and ‘proximity from home’.

Earlier you just visited the principal of the school with your parents. You were asked some basic questions on identifying animals and it was done. Some schools required you to pay some donations and even the fees were very affordable. Hardly any complications!! Today, the things have changed drastically. The ‘Medium’ factor has been broken down into a sub-factor called ‘boards’.
Selection is quite tedious. Lottery system is predominant and if your kid really gets admission then you might call for a big celebration. Parents are ready to admit their kids in schools located 10 miles off from home without any sort of issues. I remember, I had to switch my school when my house moved by not more than 4 miles. But those were different days. Today things are no longer the same. Parents want their children to be admitted to the most reputed schools. I am strictly okay with this type of desire considering that it’s anyone’s personal decision. But realistically, does school really make any difference? Or so to say, do these high quality & top-notch schools really create top quality students and citizens? I am not really confident on that.

I understand school lays the foundation for an individual. But to say that school is the topmost criteria doesn’t really gel with me. After all, it depends on the ability of the individual. Why do you need your school to have a central AC. Or in other words, how does having an Air conditioning system enhance the performance of students? One of the schools that I visited recently said that they had central AC and they took great care of their children. What Crap is that? I mean you need to have some amenities. But making your children dwell in a completely artificial climate is just going to kill the natural essence.

Education is the foremost. Having a great syllabus doesn’t guarantee anything. The School board, school amenities, Central AC, School Buses everything is secondary. What matters most is the quality of teaching. Nothing else does.

http://expertscolumn.com/users/samprad78

All copyrights reserved by Sameer Devalekar

1 comment: